Ten Ways to Give Back This Season
Between holiday shopping, travel, and festivities this season, don’t forget to spare a little time (and budget!) for those in need. As a team whose core purpose is to enrich the lives of others, we can tell you from firsthand experience that the best gift you can give yourself this season is to serve others.
Looking for ways to spread holiday cheer to those in need? Here are ten ways you can give back to the community this season:
1. Donate to a cause you’re passionate about. During the holidays, many charities and nonprofits have special pledges and fundraising drives. If you’ve been waiting all year to donate to a cause you’re passionate about, now is the time to do so! Be sure to save a record of your donation for tax purposes.
2. Go caroling. The art of holiday caroling has brought joy to people’s doorsteps for decades. Gather a group and brighten up your neighborhood with song.
3. Volunteer at a food shelter. Serve those in need by providing hot meals during the colder winter months. Many food shelters have special holiday meals and events that require extra volunteer support.
4. Wrap gifts for charity. Local schools and charities often partner with community shopping malls to offer gift-wrapping services in exchange for donations. If you have a knack for beautiful wrapping, donate your creative skills to the community.
5. Buy presents for families in need. Sign up for an “adopt a child” or “adopt a family” program to help buy presents for those in need. Check with your employer, school, religious organization, or shopping mall to see if they participate in one of these programs.
6. Volunteer at a church. The holiday season is a busy time for many churches. Congregations often need extra volunteer hands to help coordinate additional services and guests.
7. Donate winter clothes. During the colder months, families need winter apparel like coats, gloves, and scarves. Help those in need stay warm this season by donating old clothes to local non-profit organizations.
8. Run a jingle bell run. Many charities ring in the season with a 5k or 10k race. Boost your fitness level and support a good cause by registering, training, and running at one of these events.
9. Visit a nursing home. Older adults in nursing homes may live far from family or have few visitors over the holidays. Spread holiday cheer by visiting a local nursing home as a group or individual.
10. Participate in a food drive. See if your local community is supporting a food drive, or start one yourself! Collect canned foods and other non-perishable items to donate to a local food bank.
No matter how you choose to give, whether it is donating your time, money or household items, the holiday season is the perfect opportunity to help your community and those in it who are less fortunate. For more information on how Origin Bank gives back throughout the year, visit https://www.origin.bank/about/community-involvement/.